Introducing the Fabulous DanaLouFIT Ambassador Amy Chatfield
We are excited to introduce you to our strong and fabulous DanaLouFIT Ambassador Amy Chatfield. Learn about her badass journey through Crossfit and Powerlifting.
1. How long have you been Powerlifting?
I began Powerlifting around 4-5 years ago, not long after I began Crossfit.
2. How did you get interested in Powerlifting?
I had been been Crossfitting for around 6 months when it was recommended I try a Powerlifting cycle to get stronger. I enjoyed following the program and soon after signed up for my first Powerlifting meet. I was hooked.
3. How do you prepare for Powerlifting Competitions? Can you give us an idea of what happens at a Powerlifting Competition and how it’s judged and what prizes you receivefor winning a competition?
I incorporate Powerlifting sessions, split up into one day bench, and day squat, and one deadlifting, pretty much year round. I strength train before any wods. But when heading into a specific competition I follow a stricter 12 week meet prep cycle.
In a powerlifting competition you get 3 attempts at each lift; first squat, then bench, then deadlift. All on a platform with 3 judges looking for specific requirements to make it a good lift. Such as proper depth in the squat or a pause and following commands on bench. Two of the three judges must give the white light for a good lift.
Prizes include medals, state and national records, and sometimes cash!
4. You are also very active in Cross Fit. Do you think that Cross Fit and Powerlifting are complimentary workouts?
Absolutely! I have found I am at my best physical shape when I mix the two programs. Powerlifting based lifting cycles increase my raw strength, which translates to an easier time moving the barbell in Crossfit workouts!
5. What have you found to be the biggest benefits in being active in Cross Fit and Powerlifting?
I love feeling strong! It can greatly increase ones confidence and self esteem, especially in women and young girls! Following Crossfit and Powerlifting programs and seeing yourself achieve goals you set for yourself is empowering and that mindset spills over into the rest of your life.
6. What is your Favorite DanaLouFIT Gear and what do you love about it?
I have a few favorites! I'm a big fan of the sweaty shorts to get through hot wods in the summer and her new impact bras are supportive, comfortable, and beautiful both in the gym and out.